Thursday, May 5, 2011

Adorable Bundles of Grump

Augustine is twisted into a weirdly shaped lump on the couch beside me. Sophie's sleeping in bed with Andrew--probably quite pleased to have her half of the bed back now that I'm up. They're absolutely adorable when they're asleep, especially when they have a little tiny snore going on. They are soft, cuddly, and immediately start purring when you pick them up.

And I have a feeling they're going to be absolute demons on the thirty-two-plus hour car ride to Rhode Island.

In a half hour or so of panic, I turned to the internet and looked up How To Survive A Road Trip With Two Cats Without Them Killing Each Other Or You Them. The most interesting solution I've found so far: rabbit hutch. Weird, I know, but bear with me. If I were to, say, smoosh the two cats into a single carrier, perhaps they would comfort each other--dare I even hope curl up cutely together--and thus not cry for the entire drive. They tend to bunch up together when they're afraid (as seen when Andrew had friends over and they hid together under Augustine's towel-covered end table), so perhaps sharing a carrier would be soothing to them? And rabbit hutches tend to be large enough to allow for a small litter box as well as a sleeping area.

I've found two in particular that I like so far, a large one and a larger one. Of course, what we buy (if anything) depends on which vehicle they'll be in, and what will fit within it.

If we do go the rabbit hutch route, we'll certainly keep both cats' individual carriers in the car with us; if they do have problems getting along, they can take turns having the hutch (and its litter box) to themselves.

Needless to say, I'm hoping to get my hands on some tranquilizers the next time we stop by the vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment