We bought a very nice little oscillating fan last night, and as a result I feel comfortable doing some more gloating. Here we go:
The sky is currently that flat, lovely shade of grey that indicates we might be getting a bit of rain. If the scent in the air is any indication, it'll be soon. No wonder everything is so green and blooming up here. Water actually falls from the sky.
I was up until a little past five this morning, I suppose, trying to imagine which pieces of furniture we need (oof, wow, there's a skunk outside somewhere), what style we'd choose, and what our color scheme will be. The plotting wasn't going very well. And then, revelation! The first thing we need is a color scheme. And then a rug that fits that scheme. The other decor (including furniture) will fall into place after that.
Because the walls do lean inward, I think we'll go with rather low furniture. Our focal point will be the floor, drawing the eye downward to the largest part of the room, thereby (hopefully?) making the room seem larger. Bright rugs, one in the bedroom and one in the living room.
The bedroom will be soft greens/blues/creams/browns. The living room will be in the red/orange/yellow range. We'll purchase some nice sheer-ish curtains for all the windows.
It feels very nice to have a solid idea of what we'll be doing! It feels a little weird, though, that our first step is rug shopping.
Of course, once this was all figured out, I felt right asleep. And as soon as Andrew's alarm woke us up, I turned to him and said, "I have made a decision," and launched into my Master Plan. Which did indeed include furniture choices and placement as well as color scheme. He, of course, applauded my ideas, and agreed that we'll start rug shopping asap. And then we said good morning to each other, since I'd skipped that step.
We leave the windows open constantly, to let in the cool air. At about six in the morning, the birds start to wake up on the tops of the houses and trees around us--which in turn wakes up the cats, who try very desperately (and in vain) to jump up into the windowsills for some early morning bird-watching. One bird in particular has a very sharp, single-note CHIT. CHIT CHIT. CHITCHITCHIT. Echoing through our bare apartment, it sounds like sneakers squeaking on a basketball court. I think this bird lives in the eaves of the building next door.
No pictures yet. Hopefully this evening!
(P.S. It just started raining! It sounds beautiful.)
No comments:
Post a Comment