I know it's silly. I've been telling myself it's silly for a while, now.
Remember the video I posted of the apartment a few weeks ago? Remember seeing an enormous maple from the bathroom window, and from one of the bedroom windows? I kind of got attached to that tree. Whenever I looked out of either of those windows--or whenever I walked under it on my way to the car--I'd imagine what it'd look like in the upcoming season. Being so far away from everything that I'm used to, it was really comforting to imagine that this gorgeous tree would be here with me for the next several years. I imagined what it looked like as a sapling, too, and how it got progressively bigger. I made up a bunch of stories about the people who had also looked at it, or walked under it, or played around it. I'd sit in the little chair next to the bedroom window, or lean against the bathroom sink, and watch it, and fantasize, and feel wonderful about life.
Over the last two weeks there has been a lot of noisy construction going on in the neighborhood, usually starting around 8:30 am. So when a very, very loud machine woke me up last week, I just covered my head and went back to sleep. And then when I left the apartment to run errands that evening, I saw that they had cut down the tree.
I'll admit, I've cried off and on about it since then. That's the silly part. I don't have any friends here, and the way I'd envisioned that tree being here was steadying and comforting and uplifting the way a friend is. There's now this hideous empty space behind the house where the tree was.
(This is also annoying because it blocked my view of the apartment building caddy-corner to ours. Now I can see it, and the people who live there can see me when I stand at the windows. Which isn't often, anymore.)
Ugh. This last week has been hard.
But Andrew, Augustine, and Sophie have been as wonderful as ever. =)
We finally have our new drivers licenses, license plates, inspection sticker, etc. The plates are white with a soft blue ocean wave cresting across it--the kind of wave that a kid draws, like one big C rolling into the next. Across the bottom it reads The Ocean State. The drivers licenses are mostly blue, with an ocean cliff scene in the bottom corner.
I wandered around a new park last Saturday, and took a lot of pictures. I'll resize them and post them tomorrow. Or maybe later tonight!
Tomorrow we're going to go to the public library and get cards--and a giant cookbook for my rice cooker. I can't wait to make real food! We tried to go to the library this afternoon, but just after we pulled out of the neighborhood the rear view mirror fell off the windshield. (The day after we got the car inspected. Good timing, at least!) So we spent the entire afternoon trying to--and finally, successfully--reattach the mirror.
I really, really miss having a piano around. Even my electric piano. My fingers itch.
My next post will be more cheerful, I promise! Until then, have some cute cats. Please please view these pictures at their full size; it's worth it. =)
(Also, I keep the original sizes for all these pictures. And the original sizes are huge. If anyone--Mom--wants a giant kitty photo, just let me know!)


No comments:
Post a Comment