Andrew and I toured approximately one hundred yards of India Point Park today, and those hundred yards were lovely--green grass, green trees, sea-scented air, and water that was the same color as the sky (that is, silver). As soon as I got out of the car I was nearly overwhelmed with joy: the place smelled exactly like Galveston. (Seven years later and I'm still homesick for Galveston. Not to say I don't miss the Austin area, too!)
It's there on the map. To get from the park to our place, just take Gano north until it runs into our street; by car it takes just two minutes or so. Assuming you don't encounter more than one person who accidentally tries to go down a one-way street the wrong way, then proceeds to back up into the intersection at a terrible angle as you're trying to go through it.
That's a sign describing the history of India Point Park. Click on it to be able to read it!
And now a video, because that's probably a bit more interesting than pictures.
And now pictures in case the video doesn't work!
Bent tree trunks!
Are those the corpses of more trees? Or a destroyed dock? They're in an almost perfect wedge formation, but not evenly spaced. There is another outcropping of wood further down the coast a few hundred yards.
I love that mill/factory on the other side of the river over there; it's giant and pretty, but I have no idea what it does. Never seen smoke coming out of those three smoke stacks. The double-arches directly to its left is a the giant I-195 bridge over the canal, located on the bottom left/center of the Google map. I'm not sure why, but I love that bridge as much as I love the factory thing next to it.
We plan to go back and really explore the park. Can't wait!
By the way, a house on our block has the most gorgeous flowers growing along their fence, including tons of lilies. Even a stargazer lily! The stargazer died yesterday, before I could remember to get over there with my camera; these are wilting, but still quite beautiful. I love walking by that house.
By the way, Massachusetts welcomes visitors with images of a very plump turkey. Because that's just what Massachusetts does. I guess.








First off, thank you for the pictures, for some reason [bandwith restrictions I'm sure] I can not veiw the video [Sad Liz-Bit].
ReplyDeleteSecondly, it made me smile to hear you say it smelled like Galveston, how I love that smell.
Thirdly, [yeah I'm a dork] I love these updates and to hear how you are enjoying it.
Lastly, I love you dearly!
I can assure you that the video is remarkably boring! You aren't missing out on anything. =)
ReplyDeleteYou know, the second thing I thought of when I got my first whiff of sea-air was you. And imagining you on the jetties. Talk about making me homesick for Galveston!
Thank you for reading my silly posts! You feel less far away. =) Love you!